Of all the life lessons, vulnerable confessions, subtle nuances, humour and more I like to think are in my memoirs, my journal of my past adventures, I still shake my head and smile at the things some of my readers pick up on.
“Hey Roc, in that Advent Contest story where you drank egg nog, do you have a recipe for it?”
Well, I was trying to illustrate my growth and understanding of Christmas, and to stay in that none judgemental light, I suppose I am thankful that people remember anything of my stories at all.
So, here is the eggnog recipe. Enjoy.
- 6 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Additional grated nutmeg for garnish
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a heavy 3- or 4-quart pan, whisking until well-combined.
- Continue whisking while pouring milk in a slow, steady stream until completely incorporated.
- Turn on burner to lowest possible heat setting. Place pan on burner and stir mixture continuously until thermometer reaches 160 degrees F. and the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be patient. This should take about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl to remove any accidental small cooked bits of egg.
- Add dark rum, plus vanilla extract and nutmeg.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour into a glass pitcher, decanter, or container and cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate this egg custard mixture to chill at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before finishing.
- When ready to serve, pour heavy cream into a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold whipped cream into cold custard mixture until combined.
- Serve in chilled cups or glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Serves 12 – 16
ADVENT DAY 4
TASK: One aspect of Christmas is making new friends. Everybody needs friends, even the good Colonel, Roc Wieler. So today’s task is to have as many of your friends as possible wish me a Merry Christmas, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in the comments section below. Make sure they reference you, or how will I know they aren’t entering for themselves?
For example: “Yo Roc! All the best killing Amarr over the holidays, love fanboi14, friend of Sard Caid.”
The catch is this, at 10 PM EST I will see who has provided the most friend comments today and that person AND one of their randomly chosen friends will each win a prize.
Ain’t Christmas grand?
Congratulation to today’s winner, Wensley! Wensley has won himself a copy of Serenity Steel’s Eve Strategic Map book, courtesy of EON Magazine.
Additionally, Jaralaxle Tam has won himself a set of Dark Tide & Caldari Cruisers posters from EON Magazine.
I will need both Wensley and Jaralaxle Tam to email me your real life shipping information at email@example.com.
My best to the both of you, and I’ll see everyone tomorrow.