I thoroughly enjoy food. Ok, there have been times when I have thoroughly enjoyed food. Typically, I eat so much and so often that I’m more focused on the composition of my food than actually appreciating it.
Last night, I had the rare occasion to simply savour. It was worth every delicious moment, and still somewhat healthy.
At first glance, it looks rather gross, and I will confess it is a little messy to eat. I resorted to using toothpicks. Also, beets? Sure, they’re healthy, but they taste like ass. Until you add goat cheese. That may actually sound grosser, but it tastes incredible. You’re just going to have to trust me on this one.
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked beets with stems
- Goat Cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp chives
- 1/2 Tbsp of black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tsp of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Garlic Olive Oil
- Cut stems of beets but leave 1 1/2 inch of stem on. Keep skin and tail on. Scrub thoroughly.
- Massage a little garlic olive oil on to beets
- Wrap in tin foil
- Bake beets in oven for 90 minutes at 450 degrees fahrenheit
- When done, unwrap a bit and let them cool for 30 min
- When cooled, cut off tops and tails and peel off skin.
- Pop in the refrigerator and let them cool (I put a little more garlic olive oil and keep them over night)
- Slice beets into even slices
- Take goat cheese and mix with chives and black pepper, add a little hot water (1 Tbsp) to make it more pliable
- Lay down first beet slice, top with goat cheese mixture then top with another beet slice.
- When all and done, sprinkle with sea salt and balsamic vinegar
Elyse, you’re a darlin’ for sharing this with ol’ Roc.