- high intensity cardiovascular – there are few exercises that get your heart pumping so rapidly and intensely
- compound exercise – there are few exercises that engage as many muscles as intensely as burpees (squat, pushup, pylometric jump all in one)
That also means burpees are tough. And they are. Good news though; you’re tougher.
Your challenge for the remainder of this month is to do burpee variations as a tailpipe workout tabata style!
What does that mean Roc?
- tailpipe means add this to the end of your existing workout
- tabata means 8 rounds of 20 seconds full intensity/full speed, 10 seconds rest (Do fewer or more rounds depending on your fitness level)
If you want to shred fat and build some serious muscle, burpees will get you there fast! But I know you might one of those that finds repetition boring. Don’t worry! The following SEVENTEEN burpee variations should destroy any excuse you may have.
PROPER BURPEE FORM
First things first, let’s look at the proper form for a standard burpee:
- Start standing up
- Sit into a squat
- Kick back your feet into the push-up position
- Lower chest and thighs to touch the ground
- Push up to complete the push-up
- Pull your feet back into the squat position
- Jump up and reach for the sky
ADVANCED BEGINNER BURPEE
HALF BURPEE WITH PUSHUPS
SINGLE LEG BURPEE
PLANK ROW TO BURPEE
ROLLING SQUAT BURPEE
BURPEE BOX JUMP
BURPEE TO LUNGE
TUCK JUMP BURPEES
OVERHEAD PRESS BURPEE
DUMBBELL BURPEE SQUAT CLEAN THRUSTER
PLEASE NOTE: If you reference the very first basic burpee form, which is absolutely perfect, you will notice in a lot of these videos, the person demonstrating leaves their ass way too high in the air. What this does is essentially force you to execute a deadlift, which is only good if you are doing deadlift burpees. Otherwise, you’re going to put a lot of strain on your back, which is going to deter you from doing burpees! Keep your ass down as much as possible. You shouldn’t feel it mostly in your lower back. If you do, check your form!
There you have it – seventeen variations on burpees. Trust me when I say there are hundreds. Burpees are a tried and tested part of many routines of every level.
Make them a part of yours.