My computer rig died two weeks ago. Always a challenge as a pilot, and as an entrepreneur who has just started three home based businesses within the last month. Not fun. Not fun at all.
However, thanks to some recommendations from friends of the recent past, I managed to get new parts ordered, assembled, reformatted, reinstalled, tweaked, and back online in under a week. Not bad for this old man.
NEW RIG INGREDIENTS
- Intel i7 4770k CPU
- 32 Gb Corsair Vengeance 100 RAM
- Corsair Water Cooling system
- Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
- Samsung 256 SSD
- 4x 500 Gb HDD
- 2 Tb NAS
- 2 Tb personal dropbox
- Order parts
- Fight with inept shipping companies until all parts are finally in hand
- Take to an expert to save time
- Fight with inept tech person for four days (extra profanities and screaming optional)
- Take machine back, refuse to pay inept tech person
- Spend an entire day and night until 3 AM doing it yourself
The render above took nearly 3 hours on my old rig and is a single frame. On my new rig it took 42 seconds. I liked that so much I decided to do an animation!
Slick. Look forward to MUCH more on the 3D front in 2014.
New hardware’s always nice to get 🙂
Nice choice of hardware! I’d have gone for TB drive(s), but you probably have your reasons.
I don’t think I ever had to fight with shipping companies – for the last PCs (not all mine) I ordered all parts from a single supplier (newegg) and didn’t have a single issue. Maybe I just got lucky.
But yes – new hardware is good!
Apropos, just out of curiosity – what are your Cinebench and Geekbench stats?
I haven’t tested to be honest. Will do so this weekend.
Umm…motherboard not listed on your specs?
That’s kinda important. : D
What did you choose?
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 555 XFast