Recently, I had the opportunity to appear on New Eden Radio with the lovely Sindel Pellion. Much fun was had, many topics covered, much baby crying, and generally I was impressed with the DJs, the show and the experience.
Chili was one topic that came up, and as I am always hungry, I’ve decided to share an easy to make, very filling, chili recipe.
Blow the Airlock White Chili
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons green hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (about 1)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven (hahaha, dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, hot pepper sauce, salt, and chicken to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth mixture; cool.
- Add cornmeal and beans to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk; simmer 15 minutes.
- Mash about 1/4 cup beans against side of pan. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Top each serving with yogurt; sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
What’s the best part of this recipe? You get a whopping 15g of protein per serving with only 189 calories! You’re welcome.