I thought that was a profound title given some of the events of late:
- Jester’s Trek is shutting down – this makes me sad. I always enjoyed reading and participating in this blog, but the viewpoint hits home. It can mostly be summed up in the following sentence “But over the last few months, I’ve come to realize that something like 85% to 90% of the stuff I’m doing in and around EVE simply isn’t any fun. So I’m going to cut out everything that I’m not finding fun and focus my time on the remaining 10%.” You have my thanks, Ripard Teg, for all you’ve done for our community over the years.
- I’ve been re-reading some of my posts over the last six months – They are all fitness, Roc’s Rules, 3D art, or posts of me apologizing for not upkeeping the blog, trying to again, not finding the motivation to, then apologizing later. This has become most evident lately with the fact that almost every day I’m getting spam comments from bots on all my old postings. This is usually the first sign of a dead blog being prodded by the cyber vultures. It makes me sad and leaves me facing a similar question to Ripard. Do I continue? I haven’t written an inspired story in ages. I haven’t updated the Eve Online in 3D tutorial despite promising to do so back in February. I’ve had a lot on the go and quite honestly, Roc hasn’t been a priority, even though he’s influenced my real life more than any character ever should have. Anyway, more soul-searching required. I’m not ready to let go quite yet.
- The mass exodus from CCP – Even if it’s not indicative of the end of all things as some reviewers online have alluded to, it is change, and nobody likes change. The EVE Online I knew even five years ago is gone. This generation of capsuleers seems incredibly demanding, more immature, more in need of instant gratification and having things dumbed down. There are those that say the changes are welcome, that maybe the game was/is needlessly complex. It reminds me of the same sinking gut feeling I had in the MMO I played since day one before coming to EVE Online – Star Wars Galaxies. We should all know that tragic story by now. I hope this isn’t history repeating itself.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a doomsayer. I’m the furthest thing from it. There are many great things about the game that should motivate me to play more. I mean hell, my best friend in the real world PyjamaSam is back and playing, not to mention the love of Roc’s life Mynxee has also returned, and they’re both in the same corp/alliance as Roc! There’s a ton to write about there.
Maybe I just need to completely walk away from EVE to find my love for it again as they have. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and jump into the pool and remember how good it feels to have New Eden wash over me.
All I know is that doing nothing is killing me slowly inside. And Roc.