When I first saw this menu item I had to ask the waiter to speak with the chef. I was genuinely curious as the legacy behind the name as it was the most foreign thing I had ever heard. It turned out to be quite the lengthy history lesson. I won’t repeat what I learned here. Let’s get to some good eating!
GORGONZOLA WALDORF SANDWICH
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, chopped
- 1 cup each: seedless green and red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese (or Blue Cheese)
- 1/2 cup Walnut Pieces, toasted
- 1 apple, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 whole grain rolls, split
- COMBINE all ingredients except rolls.
- FILL rolls with chicken mixture.
Substitute a fresh pear for the apple.
Prepare sandwiches as directed. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 5 min. or until cheese is melted.
How to Toast Nuts
Toasting nuts adds crunch and intensifies their flavor.
To toast nuts in the oven, spread nuts in single layer in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
To toast nuts on the stovetop, place nuts in ungreased skillet. Cook on medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
To toast nuts in the microwave, place up to 1 cup of nuts in a microwaveable shallow dish. Microwave on HIGH until fragrant and crisp, stirring every 30 sec.