Meat is good. Never doubt that. Something I learned being raised amongst the Amarr aristocracy, however, was how very easy it could be to give into excess and gluttony. So many overweight, out of shape, vain, fat Amarr. I sometimes wonder how they ever managed to enslave us in the first place. Anywho …
Live a balanced life, even if it’s an immortal one.
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, easy to make, and have no fat he says, pointing out the obvious.
SAVOURY LENTIL LOAF
- 2 cups green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup peeled, grated carrot
- 1/2 cup peeled, grated parsnip
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Asian chili sauce
- Combine lentils and water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 min or until lentils are very soft. Drain any remaining water and use a potato masher to mash lentils.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-in. loaf pan with tinfoil and grease pan and foil with olive oil.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium, add onion and sauté until soft and lightly golden, about 4 min. Scrape into a mixing bowl with lentils, carrot, parsnip, oatmeal, cheese, soy sauce, thyme and garlic, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in eggs.
- Pack mixture into prepared pan and level top. Combine tomato paste, Worcestershire, sugar and chili sauce in a bowl and spread thickly overtop of loaf.
- Bake for 50 to 60 min or until top is slightly cracked and loaf is firm in the centre.
- Let stand 10 min to firm up, then run a knife around the edge, turn out, slice and serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
- 389 calories
- 13 g protein
- 43 g carbohydrates
- 19 g fat
- 14 g fibre
- 3 mg iron
- 489 mg sodium