Welcome to my video tutorial series on Eve Online in 3D. First things first, credit where credit is due. I’m not a master at Photoshop, nor Cinema 4D. In fact, everything I’ve learned has been from years of playing around, as well as making use of other great avenues of education specific to Eve Online in 3D.
- Eve Online TriExporter Forum Thread – very smart, very helpful people that can help you with more than just Cinema 4D. 3DS MAX, Blender, UDK and more – you use it, they’ve got answers.
- Eve Outtakes – brilliant 3D work from a professional 3D artist and Eve player. Psycho is helpful, friendly, smart as hell, and hands down makes the best Eve 3D fan art I’ve ever seen.
- Greyscale Gorilla – The single most useful resource for learning C4D and After Effects I’ve found. Very active blog, tons of video tutorials – Nick simply can’t be beat.
Know some other awesome resources I’ve missed? Let me know.
Tools you need for these tutorials:
- Eve Online – CCP’s flagship space simulator MMO. One of the most visually stunning games I’ve ever seen while maintaining an aggressive and risk filled game with the most dedicated and loyal player base you’ll ever encounter.
- Triexporter – A player made tool for extracting assets from Eve Online. Hosted on a player run file repository for Eve Online of course!
- Photoshop – Adobe’s mainstay. Any image editing program that supports DDS import will work, but I know and enjoy Photoshop.
- Cinema 4D – Maxon’s incredible 3D package continues to become more and more the number one choice of hobbyists and professionals everywhere. Find out why.
- NVidia DDS Plugins – The perfect companion for any 3D enthusiast/gamer. 32 bit and 64 bit support.
- Black2JSON – A little app to read those pesky .black files. You can thank me for the ease of reading. That was my contribution.
Got everything you need to get started! Then please enjoy and let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have questions.
Lesson 101 – The basics of the process for extracting EVE Online assets from the game using Triexporter, to basic texture manipulation in Photoshop, to finally importing it all and putting it together in Cinema 4D R13.
Lesson 102 - A full introduction to using the provided ship materials from CCP Games in Photoshop, and then in Cinema 4D to create gorgeous and believable artwork of the game Eve Online.
Lesson 103 - What good are ships without engines? And what good are engines without engine trails? It just wouldn’t be Eve Online without glorious, vibrant, streaming engine trails. Still and animated, pick your flavour.